[alsa-devel] ASoC updates for 2.6.32

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Jun 25 13:01:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> You don't need to merge my branch now onto yours.  Instead, I'll merge
> your branch first.  In that way without back-merging the upstream, the
> history will be more straightforward.  That's what I learned
> recently.

Could you explain the problem here in more detail?  I don't see the
difference this is going to make here - your topic/asoc branch already
contains the upstream merge and all that should happen if I reset my
history is that the metadata for the merge commit changes.  With the
current branches your pull would just generate a fast forward.

The issue I'm aware of is with constantly pulling up mainline or other
merged branches into the topic branch during normal development since
that creates a merge heavy history which is harder to read and bisect
but that's not what's happened here.

> Could you take your branch back before merging the upstream?
> Then I'll merge yours, and you can go forward cleanly after that.

I should be able to do that, but like I say I'm not sure I understand
the problem.