[alsa-devel] No jack sense on Intel 82801I / IDT 92HD71B7X in a HP dv4

Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira gustavo at sagui.org
Fri Jun 5 19:48:41 CEST 2009

Em Ter, 2009-06-02 às 14:10 -0300, Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira escreveu:
> Em Qua, 2009-04-29 às 08:37 +0200, Takashi Iwai escreveu:
> >
> > OK, it means that the unsolicited event isn't processed properly
> > at jack plugging.  But still strange why alsa-info.sh can trigger it.
> >
> > Could you put some debug print to the unsol even handler to see
> > whether you get any even when you plug the jack?
> >

> The stac92xx_unsol_event() isn't called when the jack is plugged. It is
> called twice at kernel boot (HP_EVENT and then INSERT_EVENT), and it is
> called three times when running alsa-info (all HP_EVENT, regardless if
> the HP is plugged or not).
>
> These results may not be entirely accurate as the current snapshot
> isn't working correctly. It just plays the first second of audio and
> keeps looping, locking the application (with and without pulseaudio).
>
> If it would help you, I could try to debug stac92xx_unsol_event() in the
> current Fedora kernel (2.6.29.4), as the sound works with it and the
> jack sensing don't.

I repeated the experiment with the Fedora kernel 2.6.29.4. The results
are exactly the same. stac92xx_unsol_event() isn't called when the jack
is plugged or unplugged, and alsa-info triggers a number of HP_EVENTs.

However, this time I made an interesting observation. alsa-info does not
generate spurious events. It generates exactly the number of events that
should be generated before the execution of alsa-info. For example: if I
plug and unplug the HP and run alsa-info, two HP_EVENTs are generated.
This explains the three events I observed earlier (plug, unplug, plug,
alsa-info).

It seems the events are getting "stuck" somewhere and alsa-info
"releases" them.

Abraços,
Gustavo