[alsa-devel] Testers wanted: New SB X-Fi driver

Frashman frashman at freenet.de
Thu Jul 16 12:31:11 CEST 2009

Takashi Iwai schrieb:
> At Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:55:23 +0200,
> Frashman wrote:
>
>> Hi Takashi,
>>
>> first of all, thank you for developing this driver.
>> I tested it today. It works, so far.
>>
>> But two annoying things. As you mentioned, I got problems, if the
>> onboard sound modules are loaded. Then i get no sound out auf my xfi.
>>

> It's likely the collision of PCI device ID.
> Some X-Fi models support both HD-audio and emu20kx-native modes.  The
> modes are switched by some magical sequence.
>
> Anyway, please run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option, and attach
> the generated file.

I let the kernel auto probe all sound modules and generated then the
alsa-info.txt
It's attached.

>> If I disable the loading of snd-hda-intel modules while booting, then
>> it works.
>>
>> The second problem is, that SIDE and SURROUND connectors are
>> interchanged. I'm absolutly sure, it works fine under windows and the
>> connector colors are also correct.
>>
>> If I run speaker-test -c8 the SIDE Speakers sounds come out of my
>> REAR (SURROUND) Speakers, while nothing is coming out of my rear
>> speakers, if i'm using speaker-test -c6
>>

> So, the side channels (channel 7 & 8) and the rear channels (3 & 4)
> are swapped when running with 8 channel mode?

The REAR and SURROUND channels are swapped in 4, 6 and 8channel mode ...
so they always swapped. (speaker-test)
AND because there are swapped in 6channel mode too .... there is nothing
coming out of the rear channels, if I connect everything right. I double
checked it with windows and with cable colors.

Sincerely,
Frashman