[alsa-devel] Problems with snd-hda-intel and Asus M2NPV-VM. Please help!

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 15:47:03 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Lee Revell<rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM, VDR User<user.vdr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My mainboard doesn't have HDMI out but it did come with an HDTV module
>>> for HDTV output, could it still be that something in my xorg.conf is
>>> missing that is causing this not to work?  How can I tell (or could
>>> you tell by my logs) if the codec registers are good?  I'm not sure
>>> how to proceed from here aside of buying a new mainboard.
>>
>> Anyone?  Any suggestions at all?
>
> This probably cannot work in a headless environment.  Thanks to DRM,
> the video driver has to do some magic to make HDMI work.
>
> I assume your video card is Nvidia.  Even though you plan to run
> headless you probably have to set up X server with proprietary nvidia
> driver to have any chance of this working.

As I've said, my mainboard doesn't have HDMI, it has DVI.  But I'm not
using the on-board video anyway.  I've got an Nvidia video card
capable of vdpau which has SPDIF_IN so I'm going from the SPDIF_OUT on
the mainboard into that. It's true that I have to have Xorg set up but
that's all.  No desktop/windows manager.  The only software the box
has installed is: Xorg, lirc, VDR, mplayer-nogui, Nvidia video drivers
(of course!), xine-lib + vdr-xine.  I have another box running the
same setup (different mainboard though, where spdif IS working) and it
runs great.

The problem isn't what I'm trying to do, I already know the setup
works fine.  The problem is that alsa is broken for the chipset
(AD1989a) on that mainboard since the exact same setup works on a
different mainboard/chipset (ALC883).