[alsa-devel] No sound with nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1) (Macbook Pro 5, 5)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 6 21:26:18 CEST 2009

At Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:16:35 -0600,
Sean Burke wrote:

> Scríobh Takashi Iwai:

> >> oh =(
> >>

> >> hmm.. anything i can do?  would it help if i tried changing values randomly
> >> with hda-analyzer.py?
> >>

> > Well, did the driver without my change work more or less with
> > the analog audio, or have you never gotten the analog output?
> > You can use the generic parser (i.e. the state without cirrus patch)
> > by passing model=generic option to snd-hda-intel.
> >
> For my part, nothing worked with the generic driver. I can't confirm
> digital out, but I can confirm that the kfree error is gone. What
> options are open for figuring out what remains?

Easy things to test are GPIO bits.  Run hda-verb like

	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x0f
	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x0f
or
	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIR 0x0f
	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x0f

etc.  CS4206 seems to have 4 GPIO lines, and each bit (0-3)
corresponds to each GPIO.  In many case, GPIO0 or GPIO1 corresponds to
the amplifier (EAPD) bit.
Define the GPIO direction of each GPIO bit by SET_GPIO_DIR, and
turn on/off the GPIO bits by SET_GPIO_DATA.  Running
	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 GET_GPIO_DATA 0
will show the current GPIO data bits.  Or you can check it in codec#*
proc file.