[alsa-devel] hda-intel on macbook5, 1 (was: lockdep warning on 2.6.29-rc1 with pulseaudio)

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jan 14 18:22:35 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 18:10 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Well, first off, you need to figure out the pin mapping, which
> pin-widget NID corresponding to which actual I/O.
> You'd better start from the output jacks than speaker outputs since
> speaker outputs often require the special handling like GPIO and/or
> EAPD.
>
> With hda-verb, you can issue all commands, so free to change the amp
> volume and reconnect the widgets.  Jaroslav's hda-analyzer provides a
> better interface (GUI) for such a purpose.
>
> See Documentation/sounds/alsa/HD-Audio.txt in the latest kernel git
> tree.

Fun, ok.

> > > Or do they have any external information file like on Windows *.ini?
> >
> > Yes, Info.plist files, but none seem to contain any useful information,
> > what sort of information would you be looking for?
>
> There could be some list of pin ids and flags or sequences.
> At least, *.INI contains a sort of things like that.

There's some sort of binary information.

Actually, I played with things a little more, and dug a little deeper
into what the ubuntu forums say, and it turned out that I made a stupid
mistake, I typoed mbp3 as mpb3 when testing it.

Now, I actually get sound with model=mbp3, but the controls are all
wrong, e.g. line-out controls the built-in speakers, and the speaker
on/off control doesn't do anything to the speakers. Also, I need to turn
up the volumes pretty much to max to get any output at all, which seems
a little strange. I'll try to figure out what the controls really are
and see if I can make a new model that links it all up correctly.

Anyway, sorry for the bother and thanks for all the help.

In other news, I've got a new aoa patch that actually works on the older
models, but so far doesn't fix the quiet sound problem either, I'm still
working with Andreas on that. And I'm also working with somebody else to
get optical output on topaz-based machines.

johannes