[alsa-devel] hda-intel on macbook5, 1 (was: lockdep warning on 2.6.29-rc1 with pulseaudio)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jan 14 18:10:10 CET 2009

At Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:33:04 +0100,
Johannes Berg wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 17:23 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > > I played with the volumes before, didn't help. Should I try to look into
> > > the Apple driver binary?
> >
> > Maybe better to play with HD-audio verbs.
>
> Any idea what to try?

Well, first off, you need to figure out the pin mapping, which
pin-widget NID corresponding to which actual I/O.
You'd better start from the output jacks than speaker outputs since
speaker outputs often require the special handling like GPIO and/or
EAPD.

With hda-verb, you can issue all commands, so free to change the amp
volume and reconnect the widgets.  Jaroslav's hda-analyzer provides a
better interface (GUI) for such a purpose.

See Documentation/sounds/alsa/HD-Audio.txt in the latest kernel git
tree.

> > Or do they have any external information file like on Windows *.ini?
>
> Yes, Info.plist files, but none seem to contain any useful information,
> what sort of information would you be looking for?

There could be some list of pin ids and flags or sequences.
At least, *.INI contains a sort of things like that.