[alsa-devel] Configuring a TWL GPIO pin as an interrupt

Lopez Cruz, Misael x0052729 at ti.com
Mon Feb 23 23:11:04 CET 2009

> On Sunday 22 February 2009, Lopez Cruz, Misael wrote:
> > In the particular case of ALSA SoC, could the machine/board
> > driver be a better place to handle all GPIO/IRQ configuration?
> > That driver also contains only board specific code.
>
> It'd be best of the ASoC stuff could sit with all the other
> board-specfic init code, in arch/*/mach-*/board-*.c files,
> but I understand those interfaces are not yet stable enough
> to support that ... that's why they're in sound/soc/*/*.c
> files instead.
>
> In any case ... everything I said still stands.  If you're
> doing this for ASoC, you'll need some way to pass data to the
> ASoC board-specific code from normal board-specific code,
> since some of the relevant config data is not static.

I think that if I move the platform_device registration from machine driver to board file I can append jack detection information (gpio pin, irq) through "platform_data" of "dev" field in platform_device structure. And then in the "probe" part in ASoC machine driver I can receive it.

Could that be correct? Any other better/standard option?