[alsa-devel] Juli@ ICE1724 and 24 bit audio

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Wed Feb 11 09:44:25 CET 2009

Demian Martin napsal(a):
> I confirmed that aplay and plughw:0,1 work fine. Aplay and hw:0,1 don't work
> at all.
>
> And that Xine is the culprit. Now to find out how to fix/work around Xine.
>
> Demian Martin
> Product Design Services

The older aplay you most likely use does not support 24bit properly.
Install the latest alsa-utils from git and you will be fine.

Perhaps the Xine problem is caused by the passthrough mode. E.g. in
mplayer the hwac3/hwdts output decoders for passthrough run in 16bit
only, but they work actively with the non-audio format. You can check
xine/xinelib code, the alsa output should not be that difficult to analyze.

Regards,

Pavel.