[alsa-devel] [Fwd: HP DV4 1155 SE - No Sound through speakers...]

Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski herton at mandriva.com.br
Mon Feb 2 19:20:50 CET 2009

Em Sábado 31 Janeiro 2009, às 05:52:19, Jean-Pierre André escreveu:
> Hi,
> > Hi all, I have an HP DV4 1155-SE, I've been unable to get sound working
> > through the speakers, although it does work through the headhpones. I ran
> > alsa-.upgrade which downloaded compiled, and installed 1.0.19 - still no
> > luck.
> >
> I have the same IDT codec 92HD71B7X on another
> HP DV4 model, and I have tracked the problem to be
> the kernel configuring IRQ 22 through the APIC, but
> interrupts triggerring IRQ 20 (on kernel 2.6.27 and
> alsa 1.0.19). It would be interesting if you could
> confirm this by analyzing /proc/interrupts.
> The workarounds I know of are :
> - adding irqpoll to the boot options,
> - or adding noapic to the boot options,
> - using mplayer to play music.
> There are with option "snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4"
> (this option is for HP DV5/DV7, but HP DV4
> is probably different)
> I have not enough knowledge to tell where the problem
> lies : kernel, apic, alsa.

It looks like some of these HP laptops have some sort of IRQ issue indeed, to
me it was reported that enabling pci MSI (both system wide and with
enable_msi=1 given to snd-hda-intel) cured issues in some cases, along with
some changes to sigmatel codec handling code in snd-hda-intel

I have a ticked opened where people started to complain about sound issues
with hda-intel+sigmatel codec starting with alsa 1.0.18rc3 (sorry, it's a
great mess, type of the ticket everyone says sound doesn't work and report in,
but where I tried to filter some things out):
Also some reports are hard to understand sometimes.
With alsa 1.0.18 final in 2.6.27 (or 2.6.28) many issues related on the ticket
were fixed, but issues with HP laptops remained.

I don't have any of affected HP laptops for test, but based on sigmatel
datasheets, reports of users and pin cfgs used in .ini files of sigmatel
windows drivers I made some changes to sigmatel code, plus added patch to set
enable_msi. The only issue I have with the changes, and that's why I didn't
submit yet, is that I should have split them, don't know if everything is
really required, and ask here to clarify some things below; also the changes
are outdated compared to current sound git tree.

I'm attaching here the changes, they were made against kernel
- One patch deals with the sigmatel codec code, some things to note (others
are cited on the patch):
* despite being almost the same, only with some models missing widgets/pins, I
splitted support from patch_stac92hd71bxx for idt 92HD71B5X (4 port),
92HD75B1/2 (5 port). Mostly because of different number of pins between them,
may be could have still hacked more stac92xx_set_config_regs to avoid this.
* Many people complained about the Analog Loopback, causing problems when it's
enabled; I really don't know what exactly this is supposed to do (is it just a
mute of outputs or something like is described here?:
http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/alsa-1.0.15rc2_snd-hda-intel.html) and
all sigmatel datasheets I look don't mention it, in the patch I removed it.
* power management on pins (stac92hd71bxx_pwr_nids) are not listed on sigmatel
datasheets I dowloaded from idt site (for STAC92HD71Bx and STAC92HD75Bx), so I
removed its setting (or I'm missing something here...).
- The other patch adds a quirk list to force enable_msi=1. PCI_MSI must be
enabled to give results.