[alsa-devel] More HDA NID / control / proc related changes

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Dec 14 14:16:15 CET 2009

At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:34:19 +0100 (CET),
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:46:50 +0100 (CET),
> > Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> >> I merged these patches and added patch named:
> >>
> >> ALSA: hda - simplify usage of HDA_SUBDEV_AMP_FLAG
> >>
> >> .. to my main GIT tree.
> >>
> >> The next idea is to modify hda-analyzer to show the codec routes and
> >> assigned mixer controls.
> >
> > snd_hda_add_nids() looks buggy to me.  It doesn't increment nids
> > pointer.
>
> Good point. Fixed now.
>
> > Also, snd_hda_add_nids() and snd_hda_nid_add() are a bit confusing and
> > inconsistent, IMO.
>
> It is consistent with ctl functions:
>
> snd_hda_ctl_add -> snd_hda_nid_add
> snd_hda_add_new_ctls -> snd_hda_add_nids

Ah.  But both function names look too similar, I'd say, and the
relationship above can't be seen obviously from the names.

> > Anyway, it'd be really, really helpful if you make a proper pullable
> > branch based on the upstream tree.  Right now I can't pull your
> > commits but only do cherry-picks, which is basically stupid when both
> > are using GIT.
>
> I found the possible changes (resolving clashes) during merges very evil,
> altough I understand your easy work scheme.

Right.  IOW, the commits that have been already published for the
public tree shouldn't be rebased.  The rebasing is the most evil thing
for the published commits.

Rebasing doesn't matter for local commits, of course.  Also, it's also
more or less OK for some test trees / branches.  But, never rebase if
a branch gets merged.

> Also, I don't like the missing
> lines in comments (Signed-off-by etc.) for merged patches for all involved
> people. It makes more difficult to track the patch flow.

Well, the meta info has to be set properly *before* merge.  So, the
only question is whether a developed branch is ready for merging or
not...

If your topic/hda-nid branch isn't ready for merging, I don't care
right now :)

> My topic/hda-nid branch is now based on your master tree.

Thanks.