[alsa-devel] NULL pointer dereference in ALSA triggered through saa7134-alsa

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Mon Aug 10 20:28:35 CEST 2009

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:06:29 +0300,
> Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
>
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>
>>> But /usr/include/sound isn't used for building kernel modules normally.
>>> Unless any hack is added, these files have to be installed to the
>>> kernel header directory.
>>>

>> Ah you're right, I totally missed that one. Thanks, will try to
>> workaround that.
>>

> Well, the best would be to make alsa-driver backward compatible.
> Basically we need to patch headers in alsa-kernel tree to be
> binary-compatible with older versions, i.e. adjusting the fields
> in struct snd_pcm or so, and supply the compatible function,
> snd_card_new() in addition.

The diff between 2.6.30.4 sound headers and current snapshot was
relatively small (700~ lines), snd_card_new() is removed, a lot of SoC
stuff was modified, etc. I patched those into my kernel headers and then
built the drivers but still the same issue. I'm now compiling 2.6.30.4
with ALSA and V4L drivers to see if I have that Oops with vanilla modules.

Regards,