[alsa-devel] Alsa Driver Development - General Concepts

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Nov 27 08:28:27 CET 2008

At Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:27:15 -0000 (UTC),
Karl Dyson wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> > I would be careful on what you mean by "not recognised by the kernel". In
> > a typical distro the "recognition" is not done by the kernel, but by some
> > external utility which scans the hardware and attempts to associate the
> > devices with drivers. Things like kudzu, harddrake, hotplugging and udev
> > are things to research here.
> Yeah I didn't think through what I was saying there. The devices are
> recognised by the various parts of Linux (openSuse in this case) but no
> drivers are loaded.

When the device isn't recognized even after you load the kernel driver
manually, it means usually that the device isn't supported.  No
automatic h/w detection problem.

A wild guess is that your device isn't USB standard class compliant.
In most cases, weird devices provide via vendor-specific definitions
although it's compatible with the standard.  Just doing some quirk
often solves the problem.