[alsa-devel] Alsa Driver Development - General Concepts

Karl Dyson karl at lil-voodoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 17:27:15 CET 2008

Hi Keith,

> I would be careful on what you mean by "not recognised by the kernel". In
> a typical distro the "recognition" is not done by the kernel, but by some
> external utility which scans the hardware and attempts to associate the
> devices with drivers. Things like kudzu, harddrake, hotplugging and udev
> are things to research here.
Yeah I didn't think through what I was saying there. The devices are
recognised by the various parts of Linux (openSuse in this case) but no
drivers are loaded.

I think I'm going to have to get used to writing drivers at some point in
my Linux life, so might as well start with these simpler devices - even if
some of the existing stuff would work given a few config changes.

Cheers mate.