[alsa-devel] Surround and SPDIF on STAC9277

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon May 26 17:25:41 CEST 2008

At Mon, 26 May 2008 11:15:08 -0400,
Jon Smirl wrote:

> On 5/26/08, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > At Sat, 24 May 2008 17:02:21 -0400,
> >
> > Jon Smirl wrote:
> >  >
> >  > I've figure out that the answer that I'm looking for is AC3 over SPDIF
> >  > support. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make it work in pulse.
> >

> > If you think of real-time conversion to AC3 from linear PCM streams, I
> >  guess pulseaudio doesn't support it natively.
>
> mesilliac has got it to work. There are instructions here using the a52 plugin.
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4451132

Yeah, but it's not a *native* function in pulse :)

> I'm running it right now on Ubuntu 64b. Flash works.
>
> It has some issues:
>  sound from VLC is broken up
>  mplayer works when it uses surround51 but not with AC3 pass-through
>  my stereo music is getting copied to all six channels which messes up
> the processing the amp.
>
> Getting this to work simply and reliably would be a nice feature. I
> suspect most people who run SPDIF to their stereo don't realize that
> they are only getting a stereo signal and they need to use something
> like a52.

Right, the plugin is a bit fragile due to its buffer handling as it
starts an individual PCM stream as its slave.  Then both the master
and slave streams can have completely different setups.

I'm willing to fix bugs of a52 plugin but hardly have time,
unfortunately...

Takashi