[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] ICH8 HDA not detected after upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04

stan ghjeold_i_mwee at cox.net
Sun May 25 23:50:35 CEST 2008

Janto Schraiber wrote:
> I got the ASUS P5B mainboard with an Intel HDA compatible Soundchip
> (Analog Devices... AD 1988B afaik but I'm not realy sure about that).
> Under Ubunt 7.10 it works out of the box but I just recently updated
> to the new Ubuntu 8.04 where the card is no longer detected.
>
> There are some post on the web about the problem, but most deal with
> issues, after you get details per 'head -n 1
> /proc/asound/card0/codec*' or the like, but sine the card is not
> detected at all, i get no info from commands like that... see:
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> --- no soundcards ---
>
> I installed the latest drivers from source, but it doesn't help. I
> also tried to update the kernel, etc. from the 'hardy-proposed'
> repository, still no luck.
>
> Here's the output from the 'alsa-info.sh' script:
> http://pastebin.ca/1028944
>
> And here's my dmesg:
> http://pastebin.ca/1028967
>
> What should I do to get my card working again?
 From your dmesg here's the problem.
HDA Intel: probe of 0000:00:1b.0 failed with error -16

I'm not a developer so I don't know what that means, just that it is not
good.

I think this is an issue for some hda-intel cards in kernel version
2.6.25.  In the cases I have seen the card was working on the 24 version
kernel, but when they moved to 25 it stopped working.  That is, it's a
regression.  I don't think there is anything you can do until the
problem is fixed there.  Using the earlier kernel is probably not
possible with the rest of the system.  I don't know this, but suspect
it.  You could try compiling an earlier kernel on your system.

I'll cross post this to the alsa-devel mailing list so the developers
become aware of the problem.