[alsa-devel] hdsp rpm support

Martin Tufnel martin.tufnel at gmail.com
Mon May 26 14:27:27 CEST 2008

Hi Roman

Nice to hear from you.  I saw your other posts and had wondered if you had
chucked in the towel.  I would really like to see the RPM supported as it
suits my needs exactly.  I basically want to record (a mic-ed) electric
guitar and vocals and monitor it.  So, I need something with a mic preamp
and headphone amp.  I don't need something with 1024 channels (or whatever
they're up to now :) ).  However, I want something at professional quality.
The RPM seemed to fit the bill perfectly.  I was quite disappointed to see
it wasn't supported given that the other units that plug into exactly the
same board all were.  This seemed quite odd to me; however, it did give me
hope that the mods needed to the code wouldn't be that extensive.

Anyway, I emailed RME with some questions (because in the manual for the
product in chapter 7.5 it states that "Support for the RPM is expected
soon") and received the following reply:

*********************** start **********************

Hello,

> 1. Do you know if any particular person is currently developing a
> driver for the RPM?

No, sorry. In any case, there is no driver for the RPM as such, only for
the RME PCI or Cardbus card. Whether or not this driver supports the RPM
along with Multiface and Digiface is another question.

> 2. If so, do you have any idea what sort of time frame one could
> expect a driver to be released?

Sorry, no.

> 3. If not, would it be possible for you to release the necessary
> information in order for development work in continue for the RPM
> please?

I'm sure this information is available to ALSA.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So, I'm not sure where all this leaves us.  I guess if I knew that no-one
was working on it, I could either put up my hand to try to do the coding
myself, or give up on the unit altogether (but what would be a suitable
replacement though??).

Anyway, did you try the patch that Karl released in regards to the firmware
for the RPM by any chance?  I don't have any windows machines, so I can't do
what you do in regards to loading the firmware via Windows first.

Regards, Martin