[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Pc Speaker

Arthur Marsh arthur.marsh at internode.on.net
Thu May 22 14:01:55 CEST 2008

Rene Herman wrote, on 2008-05-13 20:44:
> On 13-05-08 12:44, Armin ranjbar wrote:
>
>>> Device Drivers ->
>>>   Input device support ->
>>>     Miscelaneous devices
>>>
>>> With current mainline, it's:
>>>
>>> General setup ->
>>>   Configure standard kernel features (for small systems)
>>>      Enable PC-Speaker support
>> Thank you very much for your reply ,
>>
>> but i have to say that i have this options activated , still no pc
>> speaker .
>
> Rechecked. Yes, you need this option, you need the ALSA one disabled (not
> modular, disabled) and then the PC speaker driver option appears in its
> input menu where you want to enable it. Paths as given in last reply.
>
> Yes, that would seem to be amazingly clumsily done. Perhaps there was a
> reason (adding alsa-devel).
>
> Rene.

Thanks for the clues. I attempted to compile a recent snapshot of
alsa-driver from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/alsa-driver-hg20080516.tar.bz2

under Debian unstable, by overwriting the unpacked Debian source tarball.

The catch is that the Debian build information set up by

dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source
(which is stored in /etc/alsa/alsa-source.conf)

is out of sync with the Mercurial snapshot and by compiling "all" ALSA
drivers, I get the ALSA pcspkr driver installed, which causes some problems.

I'd probably need to hack /etc/alsa/alsa-source.conf based on the
drivers supported by the Mercurial snapshot *minus* pcspkr to build an
alsa-driver .deb based on the Mercurial snapshot.

Arthur.