[alsa-devel] Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Thu May 22 01:53:06 CEST 2008

On 22-05-08 01:37, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Speaking as a former OSS driver maintainer, I always preferred
> drivers/sound.
>
> Though Rene's suggestion (use both sound/ and drivers/sound/) might make
> sense if the subsystem code is huge -- I supported the drivers/block/ ->
> block/ code movement for example.

Well, not _huge_ but ALSA is very much structured like that; large
middle layer with "miniport" drivers (I do by the way expect this was
also Takashi plan originally due to him using sound/* and not just
"sound/"; that is, I took the * to be shorthand for isa, pci, usb and so on)

 From a structural view, the PCM core is just as much not a driver as
the IP protocol isn't one and moving all of sound/ to drivers/ would
trade the current "why are the drivers not under drivers/?" issue for a
"why is all this non-driver code under drivers/?".

This "net model" of sound/ and drivers/sound/ would be cleanest I feel.

Rene.