[alsa-devel] Incorrect model selection for HDA Intel based card.

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon May 19 14:09:00 CEST 2008

At Mon, 19 May 2008 04:19:14 +1000,
Travis Place wrote:

> Just had a user in #alsa on freenode, with an Asus P5GD1 mainboard.
> They couldnt seem to get surround sound working at all.
> It has an ALC880 based HDA-Intel sound device on board.
>
> Now, the problem lies in the Susbsystem ID's (1043:814e).
> These match in patch_realtek.c as follows:
>
> SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x1043, 0x814e, "ASUS", ALC880_ASUS)
>
> The users mainboard (The ASUS P5GD1) actually has 6 output jacks, aswell as
> SPDIF, not the standard 3-jacks that the "ASUS" model quirk implies.
>
> I talked this user through forcing the driver to use '6stack-digout' for his
> sound device, and things all work fine now.

Actually, this was changed originally from ALC880_5STACK for the
exactly same mobo (changeset 4798).  I guess 6stack-digout wasn't
tested by that user.

So, if 6stack-digout is confirmed to match better than now, it's
fairly safe to replace the line.  Care to send a patch with a proper
changelog?

thanks,