[alsa-devel] [patch] snd-pcsp: depend on CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sun May 18 10:01:39 CEST 2008

At Sun, 18 May 2008 01:57:05 -0400,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Rene Herman <rene.herman at keyaccess.nl> wrote:
> > it might actually make some sense to reserve a
> > #define SND_INDEX_PCSP MAXINT or some such so that this thing gets a
> > stable index (and make sure people know to select it through its name
> > like in "default:pcsp" and the like).
>
> Or hardcode index 0, so the distros will have to fix any apps that
> address cards by number, use the /dev/dsp API, or assume that output
> to card 0 is a sane default...

Looks like the sound card enumeration is getting more painful
nowadays.  Ideally we can forget the loading order once if everything
is ported to use the persistent device name.  But, it's not easy --
you see even network devices eth0 and so.

BTW, with the recent kernel, you can specify "slots" option for snd
module.  It's a kind of global index, and should avoid the device enum
mess, at least, for devices that have beel already configured since the
devices that are listed in slots option will be kept safe.
See ALSA-Configuration.txt for details.