[alsa-devel] usb headset problem

Anselm Reisner anselm.reisner at googlemail.com
Sat May 17 00:35:50 CEST 2008

Hello

Headset: Plantronics DSP 400 (047f:0ca1)
Distro: Ubuntu 8.04
output from tsalsa script (from #alsa) : http://nopaste.com/p/a8yymxldp

Problemdescription:
After some time(~0.5-1.5 hours) listening to music my headset suddenly
stops playing. If I try:

When the headset crashes dmesg says
ALSA /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/usb/usbaudio.c:943: timeout: still 3
active urbs...
at the beginning the number of urbs were 4 but I blacklisted the usbhid
module (my headset has a volumecontrol) since then it hangs by 3.
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop cardid I get the message
"amixer: Mixer hw:1 load error: Invalid argument"
I also downloaded alsa-source (from the reposity)and built the
alsa-driver. Because

when I try sudo alsa force-unload or modprobe -r
modprobe hangs and I can't Terminate it.

When the headset crashes dmesg says
ALSA /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/usb/usbaudio.c:943: timeout: still 3
active urbs...
at the beginning the number of urbs were 4 but I blacklisted the usbhid
module (my headset has a volumecontrol) since then it hangs by 3.

So the only thing what I can do is reboot to get it working again. It's
really annoying.
I first asked at #also for help but they couldn't help (except that it's
maybe somehow related to the usb subsystem) me but gave me the advice to
post my problem here.

Thanks

Anselm