[alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Sun Mar 30 11:13:08 CEST 2008

Rene Herman wrote:
> On 25-03-08 02:22, Michael Cree wrote:
>
>>> should do it. Here's a file Bob passed me as a problematic one.
>>> 8-bit, 11025, mono:
>>>
>>> http://members.home.nl/rene.herman/asskickd.wav
>>
>> Right, got that.  On the PWS600au it shows the same problems that Bob
>> describes!  When I play it with aplay (through the es1887) I get the
>> last "pal" repeated at the end.  When I play it with sox (also through
>> the es1887) I get the words "current event" repeated at the end.
>>
> Lovely, so different problem between you and Bob. When you (either of
> you) have some time for it again, could you try:
>
> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -t alsa hw

Exactly the same as without the -w option.  (BTW, I would've never have
guessed the -w option; my man file has -2 for conversion to 16 bit.)

> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -t alsa hw

The words "current event" are no longer repeated at the end of playing.
  There is a click at the end of playing - hard to know whether it
started to repeat something or whether it is truly at the end of the
sound file.

> $ sox asskickd.wav -w -r 44100 -c 2 -t alsa hw

Repeats the "al" bit of the last word "pal" at the end of playing.

>> I suspect you are right - the symptoms I have observed (complete
>> system crashes) are separate from what Bob observes.  One question I
>> have is what is different about Bob's set up that enables the sound to
>> work with mmap?
>
> Not a clue. Takashi -- is it possible that Bob wasn't using mmap to
> being with if he didn't do anything specific to not do so?
>
> And perhaps you guys have firmware settable options that touch that area
> of coherent DMA? Maybe even a specific chipset bug on his machine? No
> idea how different/similar your machines are...

I have another PWS600au - a little older than the one I was testing on.
  It is slightly different in that its scsi controller is a separate
board in a PCI slot, rather than on the motherboard.  Also has an
ESS1888 rather than an ESS1887.  Just installed the same OS and kernel
on it.

Tried playing sound.  What a mess. Crashes with mmap on.  Installed the
patch turning off mmap.   Just produces buzzes and fart noises whatever
sound file I try to play; both with aplay and sox.

Michael.