[alsa-devel] Scope of snd_pcm_hw_params_alloca() ?

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 17:21:51 CET 2008

I've spent a couple of days pining this down.

snd_pcm_hw_params_alloca() is part of the user API -right?  But accomplished
as a #define in pcm.h.

However if it is called inside a function, and the pointer stored for future
use, after leaving the function the allocation seems to have gone, and
attempting thereafter to use the pointer to access the hwparams space in
another API function results in seg-fault.

This seems rather counter-intuitive (ie unexpected) to someone who has no
knowledge of the inner workings, but simply uses the API; the allocation
disappears without having been specifically free'd or released in any way.  I
know that calling it globally gets round the problem, but certainly I could
do without all the debug needed to discover that.

Comments?

Alan