[alsa-devel] Hardware and software period size

Mathieu Monney zittix_all at xwaves.net
Thu Mar 13 14:26:14 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently developping a layer between ALSA and a VoIP library for an
embedded device.  The device cannot have a different period size than
1024 for playback and 8 for capture (I don't know why :-( ). So my
problem is that the VoIP library ask me to have a period size different
of the hardware period size. So I decided to read/write to the sound
device using the provided software period size rather than the hardware
period size.. Is it a good idea? It seems to work but I have some sound
quality issues :-( !

Thank you

Mathieu