[alsa-devel] ALSA utility aplay/arecord error

Saurav SAHU saurav.sahu at st.com
Mon Mar 10 04:59:04 CET 2008

Hi all

The platform on which I am trying to perform ALSA playback and record with USB sound device is based on a MIPS CPU running Linux kernel 2.6.14. The kernel uses non-coherent DMA in the configuration:
  CONFIG_DMA_NONCOHERENT=y
  CONFIG_DMA_NEED_PCI_MAP_STATE=y
  CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN=y
  CONFIG_SYS_SUPPORTS_BIG_ENDIAN=y
  CONFIG_BOOT_ELF32=y
  CONFIG_MIPS_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
I have attached the kernel .config file for further information. So far, I have not succeeded in hearing sound with 'aplay', or capturing sound with 'arecord'.

If there have been any similar issues reported on ALSA usage with MIPS CPU based on non-coherent DMA in the past, please let me know. Also, if there have been any patches developed for successful resolution of this issue on similar platform/configuration, it would be very useful for me.

Thanks & Regards
Saurav