[alsa-devel] hda-intel on Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 mobo

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Jun 16 20:00:02 CEST 2008

I've just built a new machine, and expected problems with the onboard
soundcard, and also have problems with the onboard NIC, but that's another
problem, which is resolved by installing my last remaining realtek 8139 PCI
card.

Anyway the mobo is an Asus M2N-X Plus NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430, and the
Southbridge (which appears to handle allsorts of stuff) is MCP61.

the specs for the soundcard from the Asus site are below.
ALC662 6-Channel High Definition Audio Azalia CODEC
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
S/PDIF out on back I/O port

This is using the Fedora 8 distro, which has alsa driver 1.0.15, and is
probably a bit old.

The card is not detected at bootup, but I did a modprobe snd-hda-intel, using
various model options. the modules were loaded, but a cat /proc/asound/cards
showed "no soundcards detected"

I don't want to waste too much time on this onboard card, and will probably
buy a cheap well supported card, just to get some sounds on this new machine.
All the same I've run the alsa-info.sh script, and the link is below.

http://pastebin.ca/1048647

Any comments, as always welcome.

Btw: My other machines use Audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1) on the first
machine, and Ensoniq (ens1371) on the other machine, and no problems with
these cards at all. I cannot repeat my opinions/thoughts about hda-intel
cards.

Thanks for all your work you folks.

Nigel.