[alsa-devel] Thoughts on ASOC v2 driver architecture

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Mon Jun 16 19:10:36 CEST 2008

Mark Brown wrote:

> Right, but you could not then idiomatically have a device tree entry
> saying something to the effect of "This board has a Frobnitz 2000 with
> control line 1 connected to GPIO4 and control line 2 connected to GPIO5"

Yes.

> which would register the presence of this other device (in the same way
> as you have an entry for an I2C device)?

I'm still not sure I understand.  I2C devices are represented by complete nodes
under the I2C adapter node.  The file fsl_soc.c scans each I2C adapter node, and
enumerates every child node under the adapter node.  It creates I2C platform
devices this way.

I'm not sure how we could use this model for ASoC.  There is no "ASoC adapter
node" in the device tree, because there is no ASoC adapter.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale