[alsa-devel] Thoughts on ASOC v2 driver architecture

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Mon Jun 16 19:03:26 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:49:27AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > But wouldn't it now be legal to represent the machine driver as a device
> > in its own right, even if it is connected via GPIOs?

> I'm not sure I understand that, so let me say this:

> When a driver wants to be probed, it creates a list that describes the kind of
> nodes it wants to be probed on.  Typically, the list includes the contents of
> the "compatible" property.  The kernel then scans the device tree, and calls the
> driver for each matching node.

Right, but you could not then idiomatically have a device tree entry
saying something to the effect of "This board has a Frobnitz 2000 with
control line 1 connected to GPIO4 and control line 2 connected to GPIO5"
which would register the presence of this other device (in the same way
as you have an entry for an I2C device)?