[alsa-devel] Thoughts on ASOC v2 driver architecture

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Mon Jun 16 17:34:42 CEST 2008

Jon Smirl wrote:

> I think I've come up with a solution. Push all of that generic setup
> code in mpc8610_hpcd into fsl_ssi.

I would NACK a patch that did that, if you were to submit it here.

> Leave only the platform specific
> support in mpc8610_hpcd. Now turn mpc8610_hpcd into a loadable module
> but leave it as a platform_driver. During the fsl_ssi probe function
> extract the platform name from the device tree and use it to
> dynamically load the mpc8610_hpcd driver.

If you want to augment the drivers to get more information from the device tree,
like names, I would be okay with that.  But I don't like moving any fabric
functionality from the fabric driver into another driver.  The SSI driver cannot
ever be aware of more than one SSI at a time.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale