[alsa-devel] Thoughts on ASOC v2 driver architecture

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:47:13 CEST 2008

On 6/16/08, Liam Girdwood <lg at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> Ok, I think I have a good idea of what you are proposing here.
>
>  The ASoC DMA is currently very much like a library in that it exports
>  it's ALSA PCM functions to the core (by registering itself) and whilst
>  the DMA functions are not directly called by client CPU DAI drivers they
>  are indirectly called on the client DAIs behalf by the ASoC core (in
>  response to ALSA core). This means we don't have to burden our DAI
>  drivers with CPU DMA specific calls.

Doesn't the current model of a global ASOC DMA driver require that all
cpu_dai channels use the same transport? Should the model allow
different transports on different cpu_dai channels (maybe some
programmed IO, and some DMA)?

I don't need this for my hardware, I'm just wondering if it should be allowed.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com