[alsa-devel] period time in async handler

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Wed Jun 11 04:35:12 CEST 2008

Hi Friends,

I have a need to have an audio player kick off things at various points
of time through playback of an audio file. I'm trying to hack aplay as a
proof of concept.

If I understand correctly, the asynchronous handler seems to do what I
want. I hacked in a handler to aplay and it works, but not quite like
how I expected.

I counted the number of times that the handler got called, and thought
that if I multiplied that by the period time that I'd end up with the
total audio length but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was under the
assumption that the handler was called once per period.

I must not understand the relationship of the asynchronous handler and
period_time. Does this make sense? Am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks,
Tim