[alsa-devel] GIT: something wrong with sound-2.6/devel?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Mon Jul 21 12:39:05 CEST 2008

On 21-07-08 11:51, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:45:29AM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
>
>> rene at 7ixe4:~/src/linux/7ixe4$ git fetch tiwai
>>  From git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6
>>   ! [rejected]        devel      -> tiwai/devel  (non fast forward)
>>   ! [rejected]        dma-fix    -> tiwai/dma-fix  (non fast forward)
>>   ! [rejected]        master     -> tiwai/master  (non fast forward)
>
>> I'll go ask on the GIT list what this might be about...
>
> This means that the git remote is configured to only pull fast forwards
> from that repository.  Add a + to the 'fetch =' for it in .git/config
> and it'll track non-linear updates like you get when the remote rebases.

I see.... thanks. I'll wait a bit with doing that then since it appears
that this rejection might be the behaviour I want from it -- am using
the devel branch specifically due to it only being rebased at releases.

Okay, thanks again, I get it. Things work again without anything special
after a "git remote rm tiwai, git remote add tiwai <url>" cycle. That's
ofcourse pretty horrible though. Really convinced by now that public
repos that downstream users might have pulled should just not be
rebased. Okay, the once per cycle as with that devel branch is probably
okay but in essence any tree you rebase becomes a throw away tree that
noone other than your upstream has any use for longer than once.

I'll keep the question on the GIT list outstanding due to the difference
with "git pull" which I do still find unexpected.

Rene.