[alsa-devel] GIT: something wrong with sound-2.6/devel?

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Mon Jul 21 12:47:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:39:05PM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
> On 21-07-08 11:51, Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:45:29AM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:

>> This means that the git remote is configured to only pull fast forwards
>> from that repository.  Add a + to the 'fetch =' for it in .git/config
>> and it'll track non-linear updates like you get when the remote rebases.

> I see.... thanks. I'll wait a bit with doing that then since it appears
> that this rejection might be the behaviour I want from it -- am using
> the devel branch specifically due to it only being rebased at releases.

It probably doesn't hurt to track the current state of the remote anyway
- even if the remote is rebased that won't affect the history of your
development branch and I can't off-hand think of a reason why it'd be
best to have the old status hanging around for a repo like this.

> ofcourse pretty horrible though. Really convinced by now that public repos
> that downstream users might have pulled should just not be rebased.  Okay,

Yes, that's the strongly expressed recommendation for things people
might want to base work on.