[alsa-devel] Altec Lansing FX5051 USB Speakers

Jeremy Nickurak alsa-devel at rifetech.com
Fri Jul 18 02:53:37 CEST 2008

It's been about 7 months since I last brought this up, and didn't really
get any success at the time, so I thought I'd check and see if anybody
has any insights again.

About a year ago I posted my original request here for any suggestions
in getting a set of USB speakers from Altec Lansing, model# FX5051,
working with ALSA. They're a set of 5.1 speakers with a built in USB
sound card. Sound does appear to work, but the mixer is locked at 100%.
There is no analog manual mixer, and the digital control dial exhibits
the same problem as alsamixer, so I have to find a way to adjust the usb
device's mixer volume in order to make the speakers usable.

The speakers work fine in Windows XP, without installing any drivers, so
it would seem that this device is operating based on some standard.

In windows, adjusting the mixer via the digital control dial, or via the
windows mixer control both result in the LED display moving in sync to
indicate the new volume setting.

In alsa, adjusting the digital control dial doesn't appear to have any
effect, other then waking the LED display from its low-light mode.
Attempting to adjust volume from alsamixer likewise wakes the display
from low-light mode, but also fails to significantly change the mixer
setting.  When I say significantly, I mean that the mixer flips between
about 98% and 100%, when using the Up/Down keys (or PgUp or PgDown). End
appears to drop the volume to 0%, but Home doesn't restore it.

Pressing the device's 'Power' button also behaves strangely. I can turn
the device off, but it is turned back on shortly afterward. No usb
connect/disconnect events appear here, instead, the power button seems
to function more like a mute.

amixer -c 2 contents yields:

atrus at kedri:~$ amixer -c 2 contents
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Bass'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=1,min=0,max=10,step=0
  : values=1
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Treble'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=1,min=0,max=10,step=0
  : values=3
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=2,min=0,max=49,step=0
  : values=48,48
  | dBscale-min=-49.00dB,step=1.00dB,mute=0

I'm attaching the contents of 'lsusb -v'.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and any requests for further
information about this device will be accomodated ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeremy Nickurak