[alsa-devel] Weirdness with on-board CM6501 USB

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Thu Jul 17 23:39:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a Asus M2N-E SLI board with a CM6501 sound on-board.  I asked
some months ago if anyone had any advice for how to get it working:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/29626

Apparently there are still people having problems with this card.
Today I spend some more time tinkering with it and have finally got
some noise out of it.  The magic is a .asoundrc file as follows:

    pcm.!default {
            type plug
            slave.pcm "surround51:CARD=1"
            slave.channels 6
            route_policy duplicate
    }

    ctl.!default {
            type hw
            card 1
    }

Note that it's card "1" because I have a second PCI sound card.  I
have my stereo speakers connected to the gray plug (side speaker out
according to the manual).  The lime plug is supposed to be for front
speakers but no signal is present.  The volume is turned up on all
mixer controls.

Anyone have ideas on why no sound comes out of the front speaker
plug?

Regards,

  Neil