[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Landis McGauhey b3zdomny at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 15:38:23 CEST 2008

> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:16:32 +0200
> From: rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
> To: b3zdomny at hotmail.com
> CC: tiwai at suse.de; alsa-user at lists.sourceforge.net; alsa-devel at alsa-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

<snip>

OK, here we go:

# patch -p1 --dry-run < /home/bezdomny/Desktop/ens1371-ac97_reset_hack.diff= no errors

# patch -p1 < /home/bezdomny/Desktop/ens1371-ac97_reset_hack.diff= no errors

# make= no errors

# make modules_install= no errors

# modprobe -r snd-ens1371= no errors

# modprobe -r es1371= no errors

# modprobe snd-ens1371= no errors

# alsamixer= usb mic in webcam

#alsamixer -c 1=  PCI card.  Checked for good levels and no mutes-- all is well.

# speaker-test=

speaker-test 1.0.16

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

silence

# aplay -D hw:AudioPCI /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav=

Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

but with silence

running dmesg and attaching the result

alsaconf=
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-ens1371 snd-ac97-codec snd-usb-audio snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc snd-usb-lib snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-hwdep.
building card database...

following cards are found on your system:

ens1371 Creative Labs Ective 1938
legacy Probe legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips

(OK)

 Configuring snd-ens1371                        │
               │ Do you want to modify /etc/modprobe.d/sound    │
               │ (and /etc/modprobe.conf if present)?

(yes)

"pop" in speaker as alsaconf loads snd-ens1371

running alsamixer-- no mute toggle underneath mic, that's a first

and just so you know,  there's no mute toggle under "master", "master-m", and "PCM", either, but that's nominal.  There was one time, however, that "master" and/or "PCM" had a mute toggle.  Perhaps "master" and/or "PCM" are muted and we can't tell because there are supposed to be mute toggles there, but they are missing?  Something to consider...

#speaker -test=

speaker-test 1.0.16

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 2048 to 16384
Period size range from 1024 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.653267

but with silence

# aplay -D hw:AudioPCI /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav=Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

but with silence.

tried to run audacity, but it doesn't appear.  go to process table-- there's audacity, killed it.

ran xmms, changed preferences to ALSA,  it runs, you can see the volume bars pumping, but it's silent.

and that's about it.

Not going to reboot.

Rene & Takashi: I fear this is taking up too much of our time and this effort may have long passed the point of diminishing returns.  Personally, my goal is to have audio with Skype, whether with OSS or ALSA, I don't care.  If you want to continue to work on this for the sake of the community
at large and others who have this same card and this same problem, then I'm willing and would
be honored to be the guinea pig and be an active participant in the
community. I'm sorry this problem is so stubborn and if you have better things to do, I understand.  If you don't care to work on this anymore, I would understand and if you could perhaps just help me get sound in Skype (that is, to have /dev/dsp appear as I/O options in Skype configuration) with OSS, then I would be a happy camper indeed.

thank you as always for your persistence, expertise, and patience,

Landis