[alsa-devel] softvol and snd_pcm_rewind() is broken

Lennart Poettering mznyfn at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 16 16:30:04 CEST 2008

Heya!

With 1.0.17rc3 snd_pcm_rewind() is broken for softvol as it seems:

- Sometimes the sound becomes heavily distorted after such a seek:

  http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-June/008860.html

- And snd_pcm_rewind() might return a value that is higher than was
  passed in, which as far as I understood should never happen:

  http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-April/007308.html

These two issues might be caused by the same error.

Takashi, Jaroslav, how can I bribe you into fixing this? I'd love to
release my new PulseAudio version soon which heavily relies on
snd_pcm_rewind(), but unfortunately the most important driver (hda
with softvol) makes the most problems with it. :-(

Lennart