[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Fri Jul 18 18:31:14 CEST 2008

On 16-07-08 20:50, Rene Herman wrote:

> Moreover, the AC97 codec seems integrated in the EV1938. Just found a
> patch for FreeBSD following up a similar report for your card. Will
> look at it tomorrow.

Nothing interesting. Ready to give up on this. There is a communication
problem with the AC97 codec and that's the kind of thing which is almost
impossible to debug via email, especially since apparently this is not
different for the OSS driver; it's also not getting back a valid ID at
least.

I do wonder a bit if that might mean that the only difference is the
ALSA "mute by default" behaviour. The attached patch does away with the
default muting of the AC97 controls. You'd apply it as before (after
reverting the previous 2 patches as written earlier), "make", "make
modules_install" and then load snd-ens1371:

# modprobe -r es1371
# modprobe -r snd-ens1371
# modprobe snd-ens1371

and then "aplay foo.wav" (without first starting alsamixer). If no
sound, adjust levels in alsamixer, retry aplay, if no sound, reboot (to
get the card to a startup state) and retry after the above 3 modprobes.

If for some unimagineable reason you still need "alsaconf" instead of
just modprobe snd-ens1371 to load the driver, adjust accordingly. Have
no idea why that would be the case.

If as expected you still have no sound I give up. Stared at this stuff,
but am not seeing anything stand out. If you ever decide to replace the
card and can find an ALSA developer in your neighbourhood to donate it
to that could be interesting. I've never seen an EV1938 locally here;
distribution is probably limited to the US.

Rene.