[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Landis McGauhey b3zdomny at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:38:37 CEST 2008

> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:42:05 +0200
> From: rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
> To: b3zdomny at hotmail.com
> CC: tiwai at suse.de; alsa-user at lists.sourceforge.net; alsa-devel at alsa-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

<snip>

OK, ran alsaconf and it detected the card and finished without error.  Plus, when it loaded the driver, there was a loud "click" in the speakers.  I don't think that has happened before.

Then, the audio tests:

# speaker-test

speaker-test 1.0.16

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 2048 to 16384
Period size range from 1024 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.664700
 0 - Front Left

but with silence.

# aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1017: unable to install sw params:
start_mode: DATA
xrun_mode: STOP
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 940
xfer_align: 940
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 986447872

but with silence.

tried running audacity.  according to kde system guard process table, audacity was running, but it did not appear on the screen.   Used kde system guard process table to kill audacity.

ran xmms.  song played without error, but with silence.

Now I am going to do the blacklisting you suggested and reboot to see if that makes any difference.  I will let you know what happens.

Landis