[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] is this card supported by ALSA?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Tue Jul 15 16:42:05 CEST 2008

On 15-07-08 16:19, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> The below is a patch to improve the codec access routines in a bit
> more robust way (and clean-ups, too).  Give it a try.

Thank you for taking this...

Landis, if it's easier for you due to webmail stuff, I'm attaching the
patch to this message so that it might be easier for you to save it
(Takashi posted it "inline" in the message).

The way to use this is very similar to what you did for the OSS driver
patch. You save this somewhere, then from the root of the source tree
(from /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.9 it was...) you do

# patch -p1 --dry-run < /some/where/ens1371-ac97.diff

and upon seeing that complete without errors, without the --dry-run:

# patch -p1 --dry-run < /some/where/ens1371-ac97.diff

You then recompile the kernel with "make" (which should now only
recompile the snd-ens1371 driver) and do a "make modules_install" after
it finishes.

Then, make sure no old driver for the card is loaded:

# modprobe -r snd-ens1371
# modprobe -r es1371

and load the new one:

# modprobe snd-ens1371

then up and unmute volumes in alsamixer again and try if you have sound
with "speaker-test" or "aplay foo.wav".

If you do, you should blacklist the now installed OSS es1371 driver (add
"blacklist es1371" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) and make sure
snd-ens1371 is no longer blacklisted. If all's well, working sound
should then survive a reboot (and a future kernel would include the fix
autonmatically so things just work out of the box).

Rene.