[alsa-devel] Alsa 32-64 bit issue

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Wed Jul 2 20:42:01 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> I have an application which does simple PCM output to Alsa. It works so
>>> far (if pulseaudio is not used but that's another issue).
>>> But if I try to run the app (which is compiled for 32bit) on a 64bit
>>> Linux system it fails at snd_pcm_start() with the following error:
>>>
>>> "Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)"
>> It means that no data is present on the buffer.

ok, I fixed that by not using snd_pcm_start() at all. Thanks for the hint.
I still have issues which I find pretty strange though:

The very same application binary always buffer underruns on my x86-64
system while it works (almost) perfectly (at least w/o buffer underruns)
on my smaller i586 system.

Anyone can imagine what could cause that?

Thanks,
  Wolfgang