[alsa-devel] Alsa 32-64 bit issue

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Wed Jul 2 14:40:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:48:18 +0200,
> Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to to this list (and also Alsa) so please forgive me some newbie
>> questions you probably find ;-)
>>
>> I have an application which does simple PCM output to Alsa. It works so
>> far (if pulseaudio is not used but that's another issue).
>> But if I try to run the app (which is compiled for 32bit) on a 64bit
>> Linux system it fails at snd_pcm_start() with the following error:
>>
>> "Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)"
>
> It means that no data is present on the buffer.

That could perfectly be the case. But that isn't really a 64bit system
thing, is it? I admit there is most likely something wrong with the app
as it is now :-(
The thing is that we can't guarantee that there are always audio frames
in the buffer since we get it as a stream from somewhere else and need
to do A/V sync.
Currently we just snd_pcm_start() and only afterwards write to the
buffer as the data comes in what as I understood now is not the way it's
gonna work?

I've tried to set a sensible start_threshold and just leave out the
snd_pcm_start() but that created a very distorted sound output (but no
broken pipe indeed).

Wolfgang