[alsa-devel] Splitting up the HDA-INTEL modules

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Tue Jan 15 20:15:01 CET 2008

I don't think that it would be very easy, as there are several instances
where code relies on other codec definitions.

In all actuality, what is needed is a more generic driver that is driven
by userspace tools.  Takashi and I worked on this a little last year,
but we have become too busy with new system influx (and I have other
projects outside Alsa consuming my time).  Maybe we can get a core group
together and actually define and implement an API for this.

My idea is a driver that takes settings from a config file that are
either 32bit register values (aka Sigmatel), or individual Node
parameters (Realtek, Conexant, etc).  This way we can define model
config files, and associate their PCI Quirk in a central config file
that can be edited in userspace.  This would be much easier to support,
for users, distro vendors, hardware vendors, and us.

I'll try to write up a proposal in the next few weeks, if we can get
others on board to work on this.

Tobin