[alsa-devel] ALC268 test model not working

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jan 15 11:16:30 CET 2008

At Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:38:31 +1030 (CST),
Jonathan Woithe wrote:

> Hi
>
> [ ALC268 test model ]
> > > But it doesn't work correctly, because when running alsamixer, dmesg
> > > tells "hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x1d", and alsamixer fails with
> > > alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument.
> >
> > 0x1d is the PCBEEP.  Maybe it's disabled somehow although it's listed
> > in the datasheet.  The patch below should fix.
>
> Perhaps it's disabled or not implemented in the chip implementation used in
> this particular laptop.  While the "official" ALC268 documents this control
> and presumedly implements it, maybe others who use the ALC268 core in their
> own chips don't.
>
> If the above messages are non-fatal then it may be slightly premature to
> disable the PCBEEP control in the test model mixer.  So long as the lack of
> this control in certain hardware doesn't cause loss of functionality on
> those systems I would suggest its better if the test model keeps this
> control so it is available for those people whose ALC268 does in fact
> implement this control.  At the end of the day the test model is just a
> diagnostic aid, so if it emits some non-fatal messages on some hardware I
> don't really think that's a problem.

Let's disable it unless we implement a proper probe code.
The pc-beep isn't that important feature after all ;)

To make it more robust, you can check the AMP capability at first
before registering the mixer element.  But, this would make the code a
bit more complicated.  So, unless any other vital controls have the
same issue, let's fix in ad hoc way.