[alsa-devel] Via VT82xx VT1708 ICE1724HT and higher

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 07:46:33 CET 2008

Pavel:

1) I'm using a Juli@ card with the apparently non functional driver. I get
similar results with the VT1708 however. At 44.1 and 48 I can get good
output at 24 bit audio with the plughw:0,1. At higher bit rates no sound
comes out. At 96 KHz I get broadband noise.

2) The Plug plugin would be configured thus I think:

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,1"
        }
}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

But I get this:

linuxmce at dcerouter:~$ aplay -vv
/home/public/data/audio/gimell-test-flac-24-96000.wav
Playing WAVE '/home/public/data/audio/gimell-test-flac-24-96000.wav' :
Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Linear conversion PCM (S32_LE)

And no recognizable sound on either the Juli@ or the Via CX700 at higher bit
depth than 16. And I'm getting underruns on a 44.1/16 wav file on the Via
platform.

Possibly both drivers are giving incorrect parameters for SPDIF data
streams? (32 bit when it should be 24 bit for SPDIF?) For what its worth I
found this detail on the SPDIF format:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html which is simpler and
more condensed than the Crystal documentation. In a day I should have some
time to look at what is actually coming out of the card after decoding by a
crystal receiver.
This is Alsa 1.0.14 as included with Ubuntu 710
      -Demian