[alsa-devel] snd-hda-intel AD1981 - the microphone doesn't work

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 13 16:43:49 CET 2008

At Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:02:07 +0100,
Grzegorz Chwesewicz wrote:

> Tuesday 12 of February 2008 18:11:28 Robert Gonciarz napisał(a):
> > Hi, I'm trying to activate a microphone (I have just external one) in my
> > HP NX7300 (RU374ES) notebook (it has two jacks without internal mic) for
> > six months. Alsamixer says that it's AD1981 chipset.
> >
> > The sound works great execept two things:
> > - it's too silent when I set almost the maximum level (if you compare it
> > with Windows XP driver) - but it's not so bad. It is said that a tothem
> > can change some hidden settings to make it louder.
> >
> > - the microphone doesn't work even though I setted it in alsamiser (the
> > settings: <capture tab> the "Mic" is red, "Mic boss" is setted with
> > 67/67, "Capture" 80/80, Mix is blue and "-----", "Digital" 62/62,
> > "Docking-" is blue and "----", "Internal" 67/67.
> > The mic doesn't capture any voice at all.
> >
> > I was trying to load the module with different names: default, hp and
> > toshiba works but the mic still doesn't work.
> >
> > lspci | grep Audio
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> > Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
> >
> > lspci -nv
> > 00:1b.0 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 01)
> > 	Subsystem: 103c:30a2
> > 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
> > 	Memory at f4580000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> > 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> > 	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> > 	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> >
> > It was tested with snd-hda-intel module from the lastest sources from
> > your website: alsa-driver-1.0.16rc2.
> >
> > I'm using 2.6.24.1 kernel. At the begining I tried to compile the kernel
> > with a module which was included to it (it was working without a mic)
> > and then I compiled the external module from your web.
> >

> Hi Robert. I have NX6325, it has same sound card (AD1981HD), but different
> chipset (I have AMD processor). Take a look at description of my problem in
> links below.
>
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2449
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-February/005817.html

Now it's interesting whether Robert's machine also gets a similar
hang-up with recording.  I guessed it's specific to AMD chipset, but
if the same problem (I mean here about the hang up, not the silent
capture) occurs on Intel chipset, then the problem must be somewhere
in the driver code in general.

Robert, please check whether this hang-up problem occurs on yours?