[alsa-devel] [ALSA] HDA: no sound in headphone-out caused by commit f889fa91ad47e (2.6.25-rc1 regression)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 12 18:14:58 CET 2008

At Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:27:44 +0100,
Matej Laitl wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Thanks.  There seems a couple of bugs in this auto-configuration
> > > code.  Try the additional patch below.  This will unmute the
> > > speaker-pin.
> >
> > This version might be slightly better...
>
> Yes, this "slightly better" patch applied on top of your first patch against
> hda_codec.c did the trick, but with some side-effects:
> * the "Speaker" switch now mutes/unmutes speakers
> * muting/unmuting "Front" channel now has zero effect (in 2.6.24 it had the
> same effect as the "Speaker" switch now has)
> * changing volume on "Front" channel now affects volume in headphones (was not
> so in 2.6.24)

This is what your BIOS sets up.  The main output is connected to the
docking station.  That's why "Front" (a silly name for ALC262; it
should read "Line Out", maybe will be renamed in later versions)
switch doesn't work.
OTOH, all outputs (speaker, headphone and line-outs) use the same DAC,
and this is controlled via line-out volume, i.e. "Front" volume.

> So there are now 3 vol controls that affect both speakers and headphones:
> * Master (which appeared somewhere between 2.6.24 and .25-rc1), when set to
> zero, the sound is still audible in speakers and headphones

This must be the behavior of the codec chip...  Did "Front" volume 0
mute in the earlier version?  If not, it actually doesn't mute with
the lowest volume.  Use the master switch to mute.

Anyway, attach the alsa-info.sh output at the moment Master volume is
zero.

> * PCM, working as expected (0 volume = no sound)
> * Front (0 volume = still audible sound)
>
> So it is usable now (and those Speaker and Headphones on/off switches make
> sense), but kinda suboptimal. (is it my BIOS who is to blame?)

Yep.  For the perfect solution, you'd need to create a static "patch"
for this particular model instead of auto-configuration.  Then you can
adjust everything as you like.