[alsa-devel] [ALSA] HDA: no sound in headphone-out caused by commit f889fa91ad47e (2.6.25-rc1 regression)

Matej Laitl strohel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:27:44 CET 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Matej Laitl wrote:
> > > With your patch, the sound in headphone-out is working again, but
> > > surprisingly the integrated loudspeakers stopped working! ;)
> > >
> > > Also, new on/of control appeared in alsamixer - "Speaker", but unmuting
> > > it (and unmuting all playback controls, plugging-out headphones) didn't
> > > have an effect on non-working integrated loudspeakers.
> > >
> > > Some kernel mesgs with your patch:
> > > hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC262, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
> > > autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
> > >    speaker_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
> > >    hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0)
> > >    mono: mono_out=0x0
> > >    inputs: mic=0x18, fmic=0x19, line=0x0, fline=0x0, cd=0x0, aux=0x0
> > >
> > > alsa-info.sh output:
> > > http://pastebin.ca/901089
> >
> > Thanks.  There seems a couple of bugs in this auto-configuration
> > code.  Try the additional patch below.  This will unmute the
> > speaker-pin.
>
> This version might be slightly better...

Yes, this "slightly better" patch applied on top of your first patch against
hda_codec.c did the trick, but with some side-effects:
* the "Speaker" switch now mutes/unmutes speakers
* muting/unmuting "Front" channel now has zero effect (in 2.6.24 it had the
same effect as the "Speaker" switch now has)
* changing volume on "Front" channel now affects volume in headphones (was not
so in 2.6.24)

So there are now 3 vol controls that affect both speakers and headphones:
* Master (which appeared somewhere between 2.6.24 and .25-rc1), when set to
zero, the sound is still audible in speakers and headphones
* PCM, working as expected (0 volume = no sound)
* Front (0 volume = still audible sound)

So it is usable now (and those Speaker and Headphones on/off switches make
sense), but kinda suboptimal. (is it my BIOS who is to blame?)

Thanks, Matej