[alsa-devel] position_fix issue / snd-hda-intel / alsa <-> jack

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 12 11:34:02 CET 2008

At Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:22:27 +0100,
Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry I just kind of cc-dumped this in here without any why's and
> how's. It's the sum-up of a communication on jack-devel that left us
> irritated because our devices would perform so strangely.
>
> Could someone confirm this or hint me towards anything?

Usually position_fix=0 (is almost equivalent with position_fix=2)
should work.  But this seems not working on some loose hardwares.

JACK does nothing special but do a very basic full-duplex operation.
The difference is that you use short period size and likely two
periods.  So, the position calculation isn't accurate on your
hardware.  Maybe the positions of playback and capture streams
differe.  An often used workaround for this kind of problems is to
use three periods instead.

(BTW, this problem really depends on the hardware.  That's why there
 are such a strange module option.  So, don't argue this as if it's a
 general problem.)

Takashi